I’m excited to introduce a new guest blogger who will be contributing his wisdom on how to build the perfect marketing website for your business, because, let’s face it, your website is your most important marketing tool. Please welcome Alex Leventer, Digital Marketing Manager at MightyCall. Alex will share his extensive knowledge on WordPress and everything you need to know on how to customize it to your startup’s unique needs.
Your website is like a billboard and a physical location for your company. It’s reserved for you, it’s always there, it’s where your customers can always find you. It’s a place that will let them determine if they want to give your product a try or go somewhere else. You have less than a few seconds to grab their attention and keep it long enough to validate your concept and establish legitimacy. You’re not a fake, a flake, or a phony. Everything has to work without a hitch. You’re real, you will deliver on your promise, they can trust you. They can leave their time and money with you, knowing you’ll take care of them.
So, where do you start?
CREATE A WORDPRESS SITE.
1. What is WordPress?
WordPress is a free online open source website creation tool. It’s one of the most popular content management systems (or CMS) used worldwide by businesses of all sizes. In other words, it’s a content management system that allows those who have no coding ability to easily create and maintain a website. It’s the billboard that you can make your own. Need to add advanced functionality? No problem. You can install tons of WordPress plugins: submission forms, lead generators, live chats, all kinds of tests, and more. Need a custom look but not a designer? Thousands of free and premium themes are available online and can be easily applied. You don’t have to code anything, just drag and drop. WordPress is one of the quickest and least costly way to get a custom website up and running, and it’s hailed as one of the most powerful CRM systems in existence today.
2. Why WordPress?
WordPress is stupid simple and completely free (except for premium themes and plugins). You can download it from WordPress.org and host it yourself, or you can you can use it as a hosted service at WordPress.com. It requires little technical expertise to maintain. Because of its massive popularity worldwide, WordPress is well documented and has thousands of add-ons built for it. It can act as a reliable backbone for all kinds of sites. There are a gazillion themes you can choose from and customize for your brand. It’s easy to monetize, it’s SEO friendly, and one of the most important things about it is, it’s constantly being updated and improved. There is a huge support community online that you can always tap into for advice.
In these series, we will discuss everything that is needed to get your site up and running and to customize it to start signing up customers.
There will be 5 blog posts:
- Lesson 1. Initial setup of your domain, hosting, and WordPress. You will learn how to purchase a domain, how to host it, and how to install WordPress.
- Lesson 2. Content Migration and Theme Customization. You will review how to add content to your website and how to customize its look by utilizing a free or premium WordPress theme.
- Lesson 3. Advanced Website Functionality Plugins. You will learn the basics of WordPress plug-ins as well as 5 must-have plug-ins for your startup’s website.
- Lesson 4. Startup Website SEO Basics. You will learn how to perform initial keyword research and how to optimize your site for keywords. You’ll also learn about the tools to measure success.
- Lesson 5. Startup Analytics and Testing. You will learn how to start measuring user behavior on your website, the importance of constant testing, and how to test your website.